Monday, February 26, 2007

Kristen Fenton: Clearly bored out of her skull

Former Fresno State outside hitter Kristen Fenton is one of the 10 or so athletes that have been training with USA Volleyball for the past few months, and from reading her latest online journal entry, one thing is clear: She's bored to tears.

Now, she doesn't come right out and say that, but we're pretty savvy. We can read between the lines. Take these few sentences:

"As I mentioned, it has been pretty intense and coming from a hitter's standpoint, defense is not my most favorite aspect of the game to focus on for six weeks."

Translation: SIX WEEKS?! I'm a hitter, yo. How can anyone be expected to work on defense this long? Isn't there some kind of accelerated program I can do instead?

"However, it is a very important part of volleyball and I realized just how much I do need to focus on defense to better my overall game."

Translation: I realized this right about the time the USA coaches told me I needed to focus on it.

"I have been given some opportunities in practice to swing on the outside during competition drills and I look forward to that part of practice everyday!!"

Translation: It's the only part I look forward to. Other than that, I long for the carefree days of Child & Family Studies in Fresno, with the wind at my back and a song in my heart.

"Seeing that there are only 10 of us as of now, we haven't been able to play full six on six games."

Translation: What brain surgeon decided to only bring in 10 of us? Pingel, I'm lookin' at you.

"I'm not going to lie, I didn't know what to expect because we haven't been put in many game situations during practice."

Translation: See previous mention of the number 10.

"...there are still things that we need to work on, but it was good to actually get to play."

Translation: Did I mention the six weeks of defense?

"Overall, I had fun today and it was awesome to be able to play a full volleyball game."

Translation: SIX freakin' WEEKS! AUGHGHGHGHGH!!!

Of course, we could be wrong.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home