Sunday, May 13, 2007

We're a long way from "Platoon"

The last Americans in Vietnam were evacuated from the roof of the American embassy during the fall of Saigon in 1975. Few people could have believed that day that a time would arrive when we'd be sending a women's volleyball team.

But that time has arrived, and St. John's is that volleyball team. They're already knee-deep into the Vietnam Television (VTV) International Women’s Volleyball Cup, and the players have provided a lot of reports.

Sophomore outside hitter Valeria Kovaleva tells us about the view from her hotel room in Ho Chi Minh City, saying it "seems like I am in an 'Asian Manhattan.'” You know what else seems like an Asian Manhattan? Chinatown.

The Red Storm also took the time to send Mother's Day shout-outs from the Far East:

Kochana Manus!
W tym dniu zycze ci hrzystkiego naylepszego duzo zddowia. Szczescia I pomyslnosci zycze ci rowniez usmiecmu na twadzy kazdego.
Kocham Cie, Wioleta Leszczynska #14

Uh-huh.
Lubimaya Mama!
Ya seicmas ochen daleko I budu doma ne skoro, no ya cleochu chtobi ti znala cuto ya ochen. Tebhya Lublu, dumau o tebe kajdi den I ochen sdu togo dnya kogda smogu tebya obnya I skrat cmto lublu tebya glyadya vzlaza.
Valeria Kovaleva #13

EXACTLY.
Mae!
Mesmo de longe quero te desejar um feliz dia das maes e quero tambin dizer que sinto muita saudade de te ter todos os dias do meu lado. 13 dias e estaremos juntas de novo! Te amo muito!
Beijas com muito amor, Ruisa Scheffel #15

Well said and beautiful.

Oh, don't speak Polish, Russian, or Portuguese? Are they not teaching those core languages in the schools anymore? Ah, well here you are respectively:

My dear mom,
On this special day, I would like to wish you a happy mother’s day. I wish you health and happiness and a smile every day.
Love you, Wioleta Leszczynska #14

Dear Mama!
I may be far away from you right now but I will be home soon. I want you to know that I love you so much and miss you so much. I can’t wait for that day when I’ll tell you that looking into your eyes.
Valeria Kovaleva #13

Mom!
Even though we are so very far away, I want to wish you a Happy Mother’s Day and I also want to say that I miss you so much every single day that you are not by my side. 13 days and we will be together again! I love you so much!
Kisses with love, Ruisa Scheffel #15

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home