Monday, December 19, 2011

The Convention

Hey, whatever happened to Danny Kinda? Wasn't that about to become a thing?

Ping gave a great exhibition on...being disappointed in demonstrators, I think. And Big Daddy Don Shaw made an appearance! This guy's gotta come around more often.

Super Session - Great Q&A with JMac, Jerritt, Mary, Cook, and Dunning, lead by Kelly Sheffield, who's apparently gunning to be the Mike Wallace of volleyball. I haven't seen that much squirming in chairs since  Watergate. But I think for the most part all five coaches enjoyed the discussion.

Things I learned at the session:
- Everyone but Mary and Cook would like to see Russ on a similar panel next year
- Mary would like to see people such as Banachowski and Hebert
- Cook would like to see Russ' assistants (I believe they're all unavailable for comment)

FYI, the Cook - McLaughlin beef appears to be a thing of the past. The two were very cordial after the session, which probably bums out the Cook and McLaughlin haters out there in their respective haters basements.

Karch apparently did a very cool session on reading hitters, but I wouldn't know because some genius decided to put him in one of the smaller rooms, and I was officially boxed out. Look, organizers, it's Karch. KARCH. Tons of people are going to come to anything he does. He could do my taxes and there'd be hordes of people. Give the man a bigger room!


Coach's luncheon - The comedy duo Reynaud & Sagula were back after Cecile's one-year absence and --HOLY CRAP AL SCATES IS RETIRING?! Everything else after that was a blur. I know at some point I ate something. I think it was food. I also almost died of hypothermia.


All-America luncheon - HOLY CRAP AL SCATES IS RETIRING. Sorry, just takes a while to get over something like that. Zamst was back on the scene, and I still don't know what they do. We've had good All-American speakers in the past -- Nnamani, Tortorello, to name a couple -- but Hagglund takes the cake for not only admitting an imitation of Mick exists out there, but for singling out Alexis Olgard as the one who does it the best. Good luck the next three years, Alexis...

Other notable speakers included Rebecca Kamp who seemed more comfortable on stage than anyone. Speaking of comfortable on stage, Barnett was better this year than last, but I don't think he reads his questions out loud before asking them at the banquet. At least he did the interviews so the players didn't have to fold themselves into a chair while wearing a skirt.

Infinity party - I know it happened. I know I was there.

Saturday morning sessions - I know they happened. I know I was there.

Alamodome notes: If you happened to be sitting on the ends, I hope you brought your telescope. San Antonio's a good city to have the convention, but the Alamodome is bad. Good to hear it's going to the Finger Lickin' Good Arena next year.

2 Comments:

At December 21, 2011 at 4:00 PM , Blogger Polymathtobe said...

Um, FYI, the Karch session was in one of the bigger rooms they had. 217 B AND C. They needed A and D to hold everyone. That was the room that had the pre-convention seminar in. The only chance they had was to have it out on the exhibition floor, but they were doing the teardown already.

 
At December 24, 2011 at 3:57 PM , Blogger dotter said...

It certainly wasnt as big as the room they had the super session in, Ph.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home