Monday, December 3, 2007

What's better than quotes? TOURNEY QUOTES!

"I thought we had the best middle blocker [in the country] in Alexis. And I've worked with some of the best middle blockers to have ever played volleyball." - Brian Gimmillaro.

"This is certainly not a position we expected to be in." - Top Badger Pete Waite on being the Michael to Christy Johnson's Fredo. If I were Christy, I wouldn't go fishing with Rod Wilde anytime soon.

"I feel we can do so many things that we don't even know we are capable of." - (I don't remember where I got this quote, but it seems kinda existential to think you're capable of something and not even know what that something is...like the one-hand clapping-thing.)

"Early in game two, the lack-of-confidence bug bit us again." - Mike Hebert after the loss to Sac State. Hey, there are worse bugs to be bitten by. The "Didn't make the tournament" bug, the "This season blows" bug, and herpes. I guarantee herpes is worse than a lack of confidence.

"As the old saying goes, 'All good things must come to an end.'" - The Daily Princetonian's Zach Kwartler on Princeton's season-ending loss to Delaware. Seriously, $50k a year for school, Ivy League, and THAT's your lede? Couldn't he at least translate it into Latin or something? Or quote Kierkegaard or Thoreau? I feel gipped.

"It was magical until tonight." - Princeton coach Glenn Nelson. See, Zach? That's got a little bit of originality at least, a little panache, and Glenn went to Orange Coast College.

"Our team has learned how to fight." - Iowa State coach Christy Johnson, breaking the first rule of Fight Club. Tyler Durden is not amused.

"I thought Michaela was one of the finest players, and most versatile players, in the country that I ever coached." - Brian Gimmillaro.

"I look at it that Christa was willing to sacrifice hitting .800 so that Nicole didn't have all the errors." - Penn State coach Russ Rose on Harmotto racking up 1 error so that Fawcett wouldn't feel lonely with her 3. Those were the only errors for Penn State in the entire match, by the way.

"Can you count that high?" - Albany coach Kelly Sheffield to his middle hitter Ashley Crenshaw after the senior took a look at the numbers Penn State racked up against the Great Danes.

"Wow. That's amazing." - Ashley Crenshaw after looking at the stats.

"We talk about how everyone puts their spandex on the same way." - Delaware's Bonnie Kenny on the Blue Hens' unique outlook on volleyball competition. To be honest, there really aren't that many different ways to put on spandex, are there?

"We made it to the final four last year so, me and Nellie have both seen the light at the end of the tunnel." - UCLA's Kaitlin Sather. Hate to say it, Kaitlin, but this year I think that light at the end of the tunnel might be Stanford coming the other way.

"I sure hope so." BYU head coach Jason Watson when asked if he considered the win over Washington an upset. What rocket scientist asked that question?

"I don't know to express my thoughts." - Oregon's Jim Moore, entering some kind of "Regarding Henry" state after beating K-State in 5 games.

"I knew from the beginning here, even with Talaya's injuries, that we had one of the best, if not the best, liberos." - Brian Gimmillaro, completing the hat-trick!

3 Comments:

At December 4, 2007 at 10:20 AM , Blogger Polymathtobe said...

That is a new classic. Well done!

 
At December 4, 2007 at 1:45 PM , Blogger dotter said...

Thanks! You know, you're one of the only people keeping this comment section alive. :-)

 
At December 4, 2007 at 4:26 PM , Blogger Polymathtobe said...

Hey, you work hard putting this up, all I can do is comment on it. Plus, this makes my day at work a lot easier to handle.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home