Tuesday, October 25, 2011

WVU going to Big 12. So let's learn about their libero...?

Why not.

With West Virginia apparently bailing for the Big 12, let's check in on the Mountaineers and an article about their libero, Courtney Robison.

According to the article, Robison was a setter before head mtneer Jill Kramer decided to make her into a libero.

"I haven't received a ball since I was 13 and I came into a meeting one day and Jill said, 'You are going to be a passer this year.'"

Aw, well that's OK. Remember, poise counts! So far things seem to be working out pretty well.

"She is playing defense completely different then (sic) she did when she got here," according to Kramer.

How so?

"She was kind of all over the place..."

Squirrel!

"...and just thought the more she moved around, the better she was doing."

Classic misdirection. That's how David Blaine does half his magic tricks. West Virginia was probably scoring 5-6 points in a row while the opposing team was focused on Robison.

The newly-minted libero made more concrete contributions when she was subbed in at 19-24 in the 4th against Pitt.

"Robison subbed in for WVU and immediately recorded a service ace and then served two tough balls that resulted in Pitt errors."

Whoa. That IS good stuff! So I'm assuming they won game four?

"Even though the Mountaineers lost the next point to send the match into the decisive fifth set..."

Worst. Example. Ever.

"...the momentum created by Robison helped lead the team to a 15-12 victory in the fifth set."

Oh, OK, I guess that counts.

Robison, hailing from Assumption H.S. and KIVA in Louisville, originally committed to Alabama, but then JudyJudyJudy retired.

"I called (new coach Ed Allen) to talk about summer classes and he told me that he signed another setter."

Welcome to another edition of Awkward Telephone Theater:
Robison: Hi, coach! What summer classes should I take?
Allen: I signed another setter.
(crickets)
I'm imagining Robison bounced right back from that adversity, dusted herself off, etc.?

"I was a hysterical mess and freaking out."

Boy this story just gets better and better. Let's get back to the uplifting stuff, OK? Like the fact that she wound up at WVU and things are now hunky-dory in Morgantown?

"Coming to Morgantown, Robison looked to carry that winning tradition from high school but quickly learned that college was nothing like high school."

Oh no. I can't look...

"It has been hard because I think that I always thought winning just happened."

Word. But things are good now, right? Life is good? Canweputthistobedwithsomekindofhappyending?

"When I came on my visit, the girls were great, I loved the team and I said to myself 'They have a scholarship for me, the coaches are really nice, the girls are really nice, it is close to home, and I have this opportunity.'"

Whew. Now I can sleep a little better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home